Photo by Cherrydeck on Unsplash

Team and personnel conflicts can have severe repercussions for a business including loss of focus, missed deadlines and business goals, poor coordination and efficiency, unsatisfied customers/clients and a lack of employee engagement.

In this article I’m going to cover a process you can use again and again to help manage conflict in your team.

“Conflicts can destroy teams that haven’t spent time learning how to deal with them smartly.”

- Thomas Isgar

Reports indicate that nearly 60% of employees don’t receive basic conflict management training for conflict resolution within the workplace. And out of the remaining 40% that did, nearly…


Got too much to do? Overwhelmed by choice? Stuck in analysis paralysis? If so then you need to get on the time-boxing train.

Photo by Agê Barros on Unsplash

What is time-boxing?

If as a child you heard the phase ‘You have 10 minutes to get ready for bed’ then you already know what a time-box is.

Time-boxing is a time management technique. The time-box is a fixed amount of time that is strictly adhered to. In that time-box you assign a task/s to be worked on and when that time is up then you stop.

An example is a meeting agenda where you have 5 items to discuss…


Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash

The position of team leader or manager is innately challenging. While you benefit from holding a leadership position within your own department, your role also lies within a chain of command. Often, managing your boss, and their expectations, can be as vital as managing your own team members.

In this article, we’ll explore some easy-to-implement steps that will help you manage your relationship with your boss, and thereby improve the dynamic within your workplace.

Managing Your Boss’ Expectations

Any successful boss-employee relationship depends on both sides having reasonable expectations. If you find that your boss expects the impossible, then whatever…


Unheard to the general business world just a few decades ago, OKRs have become instrumental to the success of many of the world’s biggest businesses. Despite being strongly linked to tech companies, their benefits actually span all sectors — and apply equally to businesses of all sizes.

This article explains the concept of OKRs, then looks at how you can set OKRs for your team.

What are OKRs?

Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) are a way of defining our goals and measuring our success in reaching them. As the name suggests, each OKR breaks down into two parts: an objective…


It’s a fundamental truth in business that hard work alone doesn’t equal success. To achieve success, that work needs to be focused and clearly directed towards to a desirable result. Creating a vision for your team that defines and encapsulates that result will sharpen minds and foster consciously targeted behaviours — the kind of behaviours that ultimately make success more likely.

The Role of Management

The role of management in creating a team vision is vital. While it’s reasonable to expect team members to work towards a vision, it’s rare to see those team members defining that vision.

As a…


Having managed teams for over 18 years delivering projects with impractical timelines, tight budgets and intense pressure, I’ve learnt a lot about people, how they behave, their reactions under different circumstances, and how to empower them to best work as part of a team.

Even in an era of data driven KPIs and results-based incentives, my biggest learning remains — a star team will always beat an optimised process, or a superstar individual.

What is a great team?

We should start with considering what a star team is. A great team is not always made up of the most talented…

Will Mulcair

Consultant and coach to businesses helping them in the delivery of their products and services. www.willmulcair.com

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store